Friday, November 18, 2011

We Didn't Star the Fire

Some of the people reading this are too young to get the title reference.

So Sunday is the International Transgender Day of Remembrance. Did you know that? Yeah me either which is a shame because this is something that is worth remembering. Trans folks are at the very bottom of the heap of people who are oppressed, actually oppressed as opposed to the bullshit I talked about last night. But honestly, I'm not in a position to talk about that. I'm not trans. I'm female and mixed race and not Christian and bi but I'm not trans. I'm not going to try and speak for trans people.

I am, however, going to speak to the people in the comments of the two articles I read today. Fuck you. I'm not talking about the assholes who just hate everyone. I'm specifically talking to the people who reply to the pain and fear and very justified anger in oppressed communities with what they think is helpful advice; "don't be so angry." Once again, fuck you.


That is one of the most insidious ways in which people protected their privilege by devaluing the feelings of those people with less privilege. They try to change the discussion from what was said or done to the attitude of the person who is pointing out the problem. Part of it is the way that so many people react to anger . People avoid it and try to deflect or overcome it. That's fine. But when people scope-lock on the tone and the attitude, rather than the content of a message it's clear that the listeners don't care about the message. They want to control the conversation to the point where the person suffering from whatever "ism" happens to be on display shut the hell up and put on a happy face.

Once again, fuck you. What that becomes is a demand that people who are suffering lie about their suffering for the comfort of the people who benefit from or cause that suffering. On behalf of all the people who have to deal with this, NO. Not playing that role for you and when you ask me I am much more likely to get even more angry right up in your face. You have been warned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment