Sunday, November 6, 2011

In Which I am Honest and Alienate People

I’ve spent a lot of time lately thinking about the Occupy Whatever Location movement. They seem to be a popular movement among people on the Left and a part of me, a tiny part, thinks that could be good. It’s good when people get involved. A not small number of people who know me and know how politically active I am have asked me if I am a member of or am planning to organize an Occupy My Town protest. No I’m really not. Let me tell you why.

The short version is; nobody promised me a pony.

I have no respect for these people. They are the Tea Party of the left. All I can think when I examine their behavior is of the Alexandre Auguste Ledru-Rollin quote, “There go my people, I must find out where they are going so I can lead them.”

That’s the best I can come up with, a sort of funny quote from the past because these people have worked my last fucking nerve. The Occupy movements, specifically the Occupy Wall Street movement has no direction, no function and no fucking idea what they are doing. They tried to make some goals. For a brief and shining moment it looked like they might get their shit together and actually do something, but alas the Demands Group was silenced and shunned as soon as they started to do a job.

"If anyone is attempting to speak for OWS, that's bullshit," said a red-haired protester who goes by the name Ketchup.

OK, you know what? If you call yourself condiments, no one will take you seriously.

No goals. In fact, a concerted effort to avoid anyone or anything that might look like they are making or working toward tangible goals. Because that would require them to actually take responsibility for their action and the consequences. And we all know that’s not gonna happen.

Yeah, fuck you guys. You don’t speak for me.

Some of them have called for a National General Assembly so we can get a bunch of disparate people with varying and often opposing views together in a room and they can hammer out how the government is supposed to work. As it happens, we actually have a National General Assembly although it calls itself the Congress of the United States. So shut up about that. This demand, makes it clear that the basis of this movement is laziness. Responsible citizens, finding that their government is not serving them in the way that they want to government to serve them get involved in campaigns and they vote. But that would take work and pull these people from their slacktivist vacation. It also makes it clear that the people of this movement need to take a basic civics course.

They whine about Capitalism and how they “followed all the rules and now they can’t find a job or buy a house.” Boo fucking hoo. That’s how the people I know have lived their whole lives. This could be a movement about change, about fixing things and making life better for everyone, making the tide rise so that all boats are lifted. But that’s not what is happening. What is happening is that a large number of people who, are standing in one of the most racially diverse places in the US, screaming and most of the faces I’ve seen on the footage have been White.

Let’s examine why that is for a moment? People of color in the US tend to have less access to education. We tend to have lower wage jobs and less access to any number of resources. So while the Occupy Wall Street protesters are whining a lot of other people are at work.

They may not realize it but when the protesters hold up their signs and cry about how hard their lives are what many people hear is “I had so many privileges and now I have to live like the rest of you! That’s not fair! Let’s totally rework the government!” In other words; “I want a pony!”

I say again, fuck you. Nobody promised me a gad damn pony.

You know who really likes it when the economy is strong? Bankers. So maybe bitching at them is not the wisest use of time. It’s like trying to remedy the problems of the public school system by screaming at your taxi driver. Your taxi driver can’t help your kid get a better education and the bankers being screamed at can’t fix the economy.

They want term limits and a “fair tax code.” There are already term limits. Most people call them elections. If a lawmaker isn’t doing his job or is simply doing their job in a way that the voters don’t like it is the obligation of those voters to not vote for them. It is not the obligation of a privileged few to think for me or take away my choices and that’s what term limits do.

As for a “fair tax code”…seriously, if I hear that one more time I might roll my eyes so hard they fly right out of my head. As it stands now, the top 1% of taxpayers (AGI over $364,657) earned approximately 21.2% of the nation's income (as defined by AGI), yet paid 39.4% of all federal income taxes. That means the top 1% of tax returns paid about the same amount of federal individual income taxes as the bottom 95% of tax returns and the police don’t come to their house 95% faster, they don’t get water that’s 95% hotter.
So we need to stop demonizing fellow Americans just because they are rich, especially since the people doing the demonizing have predicated their protest on the fact that they aren’t rich enough.

Further, there has been a not small amount of violence and crime. And do you know what the response from the Occupy movement has been? “Those are just a few dozen people. They are extremists. We are not like that.” Except that’s an excuse that the Left has decried from moderate Christians, moderate conservatives and moderate everyone else on the Right. The crowds and the screaming and the absolute refusal to take any kind of responsibility are what allow the crimes and violence to happen.




Yep, those are kids being shoved in front of cops. Stay classy Occupy DC. 

And now Anonymous has decided that they should partner with Occupy so as to shut down the Iowa Caucus. Because the way to save the nation and to serve the liberal/progressive cause is to stop people from voting because you don’t like who they might vote for. That's a right wing tactic that the left has been screaming about for years.

The Occupy movement is, frankly, disgusting. It took seventy years to dismantle the protections that were put in place to prevent another economic disaster like the Great Depression. It really geared up in the 1980s. Do you know why it was allowed to continue? Because citizens, many of whom are currently occupying wherever kept voting the people who were doing the dismantling into office. The Republicans kept promising a pony and people kept falling for it. And now, because the Democrat they voted into office less than one term ago couldn’t magically fix seventy years worth of problems they are screaming about tearing down the government and whining because they have to live like everyone else because nobody gave them a pony. Oh, and in the process they’ve put children in harm’s way, provided cover for criminals and militantly avoided every bit of responsibility.

I am the 99%. I have been all my life. These people do not speak for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment